Analytical Chemist for the Hemp/Cannabis Industry
East Coast Cannalytics
East Coast Cannalytics is looking for an analytical chemist with experience in chromatography and mass spectrometry (GC-MS, LC-MS, ICPMS, HPLC). The ideal candidate will have knowledge of operating and trouble-shooting this equipment as well as some experience with method development and validation procedures. Knowledge of the hemp industry is helpful, but not necessary. Must be able to learn quickly and adapt in this fast-paced industry as new testing and lab regulations from the FDA and USDA are being developed. Knowledge and experience working in a regulated environment such as ISO17025 or GLP is a benefit. Must have an entrepreneurial drive, be able to work well in a team, and communicate effectively. A Masters or Doctoral degree in Chemistry or a related field is required. Work experience in a lab or relevant industry experience is a benefit. Additional training on these instruments may be provided. This position is part-time or full-time, and can be flexible on hours at the start.
Company Overview - Do you know the Chemistry of Cannabis?
Hemp is a fast-growing industry in Virginia. Analytical testing is essential for farmers and processors to ensure the safety and quality of their plants and products. This is an opportunity to get involved at the beginning of the movement as testing requirements are being developed and implemented. East Coast Cannalytics is a start-up lab located in Blacksburg that has been operational since July 2019. In our short history, we have built relationships with over 150 farmers and processors and analyzed over 1000 samples. We are looking to expand our offerings, purchase new equipment, and move to a larger space.
Interested in joining our team? Qualifications can be found below. Please email a cover letter, resume, and/or CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. Any questions, please contact Becky Hobden at 540-682-3765. Full time or part time position
Responsibilities and Duties
- Operate analytical instruments needed for testing in the hemp/cannabis industry – GC-MS, ICP-MS, HPLC, GC-FID.
- Stay up-to-date on the commonly used methods for testing in the hemp/cannabis industry – cannabinoid profiling, terpenes analysis, residual solvents, pesticides, heavy metals.
- Responsible for maintenance and upkeep of analytical instruments. Be the point of contact for the service engineers from Agilent (most instruments are Agilent)
- Facilitate optimization of methods and improvements in overall work flow.
- Work with the team to achieve ISO 17025 accreditation – may include writing or editing SOPs, developing maintenance logs, tracking customer samples, etc.
- Maintain inventory levels to run required analysis.
- Help to develop analysis of non-standard matrices, such as edibles and lotions.
- Help to establish methods for testing in new markets including the beer and wine industry and other herbal supplements industry, such as kratom.