To apply, go to https://vhr-unither.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/External
The Animal Technician will provide technical support for the Porcine Technology Group by performing day to day operations for the swine herd and research barns.
Key Accountabilities / Responsibilities include:
- Clean and upkeep of swine research facilities
- Perform the day to day activities of the swine herd, including: daily feeding and care of pigs, herd health- vaccinations, treatments, etc., and reproduction- AI, Boar semen collection, estrus synchronization, embryo collection and transfer
- Assists the surgical embryo team with surgery and post-operative care
- Member of the tissue procurement team
- Maintains and operates facility equipment
- Assist other farm staff on general farm maintenance and operations
- Follows standard operating procedures and maintains records to comply with regulatory requirements
- Perform other duties as assigned
For this role you will need:
- High School Diploma
- Minimum of 2 years working knowledge of animal husbandry (nutrition, reproduction)
- Minimum of 2 years working knowledge of research principles (data collection and recording)
- Strong animal handling skills
- Strong knowledge of safety procedures when handling large animals
- Must be able to work in all weather conditions (including extremely high / low temperatures) and stand for long periods of time.
- Must be able to work a flexible work week including some evening and weekends.
- Able to adhere to Animal Welfare and other federal regulations regarding Animal research.
- Able to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Must not have any other interaction with other livestock, especially porcine.
- Proficient in MS Office Suite
- BS degree in Animal Science or related field
- Experience directly working with Swine
- Experience working in a farm setting
- Working knowledge of performing facility maintenance including mechanical, electrical and plumbing skills