Based in either South San Francisco or Blacksburg, Virginia the DevOps Engineer will design, implement, and maintain infrastructure and deployment solutions for proprietary applications. As a member of the Linux administration team, this position will help developers to deploy applications efficiently and securely, using open source software and frameworks, as well as custom solutions. This role will be deeply involved in leveraging Docker, Kubernetes, and related technologies to improve infrastructure utilization, and application availability and scalability. Responsibilities will include administration and monitoring of Linux servers and VMs, and services such as Apache, Redis and RabbitMQ. The DevOps Engineer will assist in researching and evaluating new technologies that can augment our delivery capabilities, and educating others on their usage. This position will work closely with developers to identify appropriate infrastructure solutions to meet application requirements, and to assist in troubleshooting and resolving complex issues. The DevOps Engineer will leverage technical experience and excellent interpersonal, communications, and team collaboration skills to deliver high quality solutions and service in a fast-paced, distributed environment.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Design and implement infrastructure and deployment solutions in a Linux environment.
- Install and manage software and services to meet application requirements.
- Develop and document installation and configuration processes to ensure repeatability.
- Monitor systems health, and diagnose and remediate issues.
- Ensure solutions are designed in accordance with the overall infrastructure strategy.
- Contribute to infrastructure and data management planning.
- Learn and apply new technologies to benefit Intrexon interests.
- Collaborate with the distributed IT team to deliver infrastructure solutions that meet or exceed customer expectations and project timelines.
- Develop and maintain excellent customer relationships and trust.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- B.S. in Computer Sciences or related discipline, with five (5)+ years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience required.
- Competent in basic Linux administration (Redhat/CentOS and/or Ubuntu) and shell scripting (BASH)
- Experience with web server configuration (Apache and/or NGINX)
- Experience with virtualization technologies such as VMware, VirtualBox, Vagrant, or Terraform
- Experience in one or more programming languages, preferably Python
- Excellent customer service and communication skills required.
- Strong problem solving and troubleshooting skills.
DESIRED KEY COMPETENCIES:
- Experience with Docker containerization software.
- Experience deploying on Kubernetes
- Familiarity with databases such as Oracle, PostgreSQL, or MySQL
- Experience with Puppet, Chef, or similar automation tools
- Strong understanding of the HTTP protocol and network security (TLS)
- Exceptional teamwork and collaboration skills, able to coordinate effectively with colleagues in remote locations.
- Maintain a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Able to work independently as well as in a group setting.
- Ability to work with developers to elicit requirements and recommend technical solutions.
- Excellent analytical skills, able to exercise sound judgment on both technical and non-technical matters.
- Experience delivering software solutions in a distributed (multi-site) environment.
- Ability to work creatively and efficiently handling multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent planning, organizational, and execution skills.
EOE MFDVGo back to all careers