Job: Manufacturing & Operations
Primary Location: United States-Virginia-Blacksburg-US-VA-Blacksburg
Requisition ID: 194030
Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
Primary Function of Position:
Contribute your supplier development and engineering skills to a dynamic development and manufacturing team that creates sensing platforms for minimally invasive robotic surgery. The sourcing engineer position is being added due to growth at Intuitive’s Blacksburg office. The role requires active participation with new product development and manufacturing engineering teams, ensuring that all purchased components and subassemblies can be readily obtained on time from high quality, reliable vendors. As part of this process, new vendors will need to be qualified and performance of existing vendors monitored. Supplier and material knowledge will also be applied to maintain, update, and develop manufacturing lines at the Blacksburg office.
The candidate must be able to coordinate their efforts with the development and manufacturing teams, and be able to report progress and milestones relative to overall projects. He or she must excel in a high-energy team environment and be capable of making sound decisions when faced with the time pressures and incomplete information typical of new product development and early stage manufacturing environments.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Lead development and implementation of a robust, long-term supplier strategy
- Identify new suppliers to satisfy R&D project deliverables and have potential to become approved in the future
- Based upon current supplier deficiencies, identify new suppliers for potential qualification and present information to management
- Develop new suppliers to meet ISI requirements and promote new suppliers to production status
- Use problem solving skills to propose solutions to supplier issues
- Develop key supplier relationships, managing those relationships to effectively partner Intuitive and the supplier
- Work with buyers and design/manufacturing engineering to identify vendor(s) that are best suited for purchased materials
- Provide readiness information (quality, capacity, delivery) of the supply chain for major production process changes
- Develop supplier ramp readiness plans with input from management by determining business risk based on forecast, supplier capacity, and supplier quality
- Communicate design and process requirement changes to suppliers
- Identify purchased part/subassembly cost reduction opportunities and lead cost reduction efforts in conjunction with buyers
- Work with purchasing/planning to monitor supplier OTD and other quality metrics
- Provide DFM analysis for new designs, including review of those design with suppliers, and communicate potential issues to design engineering
- Lead supplier approval process for suppliers that perform services in support of manufacturing (e.g. preventive maintenance and calibration)
- Create and process variance requests (VRs) in SAP for non-conforming vendor materials and lead processing of VRs, including participation in vendors root cause analysis if warranted
- Drive corrective actions in response to supplier defects by being proficient in the five whys, determining true root cause, corrective and preventive actions.
- Review engineering change orders (ECO) for potential supplier impacts
- Create engineering change orders (ECO) for release of supplier and/or manufacturing documentation
- Review supplier process change requests for potential impact to design and other requirements
- Collaborate with supplier engineering teams throughout Intuitive to share and gather information
- Ensure compliance of all purchased materials to established and future compliance requirements (e.g. RoHS)
- Provide production support of sustaining and startup manufacturing lines.
- Conduct SAP transactions relevant to manufacturing operations.
Skills, Experience, Education & Training:
- BS degree in Engineering or equivalent
- Minimum 5 years related experience in any of the following areas: Supplier Quality, Supplier Development, Quality, Process and/or Manufacturing Development
- Knowledge of pFMEA, process validation, inspection, and test techniques is required
- Demonstrable knowledge of a wide range of manufacturing processes including understanding of key input variables for quality, cost and capacity (specialization can be in metal fabrication, plastics, electronics, and/or contract manufacturing)
- Significant computer experience using Windows, Word, Excel, and ERP Information Systems, preferably SAP
- Excellent project management skills highly recommended
- Ability to read and interpret detailed mechanical drawings is required
- Ability to make effective presentations to peers and suppliers is required
- Experience with ISO 13485, ISO 9001, or similar QMS preferred
- Domestic and international travel to suppliers is required
- Occasional travel to the other ISI offices will be required
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.