Virginia Cyber Range
For more information or to apply to the position please see the posting here: https://listings.jobs.vt.edu/postings/95968
The SysOps Engineer position provides information technology support and administration for the Virginia Cyber Range. The successful candidate will have demonstrated knowledge and experience working with all aspects of operating system and network administration, including but not limited to provisioning, installation/configuring, operation, and maintenance of both the systems and application stacks on
The SysOps Engineer will be part of the Ops team with primary responsibility for being the expert on building, testing, and rolling-out servers and solutions to support the infrastructure of the Virginia Cyber Range. The successful candidates’ knowledge of system configurations, setup, and management will be added to the team already versed in cloud architectures to build exercises and scenarios for cybersecurity students on virtual (cloud-hosted) infrastructures. Additional responsibilities as part of this team will include: managing the cloud infrastructure and our supporting applications and tools; user account and virtual server management within the infrastructure; support for employee desktops; being part of the development team in troubleshooting web software errors; and other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in STEM field from accredited college or university and/or equivalent training and experience.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of deploying; managing; and operating *Nix based servers
- Demonstrated experience with life-cycle management, systems health and security monitoring to identify system failures, bottleneck, or intrusions
- Comfortable working with modern interpreted scripting languages (e.g. Python and/or TypeScript) to automate and provide solutions to business problems.
- Ability to work independently and achieve objectives on complex projects running simultaneously and complete projects by required due dates.
- Excellent customer service skills with the ability to simplify complex IT related terms and concepts.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrate a willingness to work for VACR and develop a long-term working relationship with us.
- Demonstrate an ability to work in a team environment and on individual projects.
- Demonstrate an ability to follow instructions.
The preferred candidate should be able to claim experience in many of the below areas:
- Experience with Linux, especially across multiple distributions and versions
- Experience modifying OS configurations or settings without centralized configuration management tools
- Experience with configuration management tools such as Ansible, Salt, Puppet, Chef etc.
- Strong background in network troubleshooting, flow logging, packet analysis, packet filtering, and/or firewalls.
- Experience with setup and maintaining of DNS servers, and a solid understanding of DNS concepts.
- Experience with authentication services and processes such as LDAP, OAuth, or CAS
- Auditing or functional experience with Oracle, MySQL, Postgres, MSSQLdatabases.
- Functional experience with setup, maintenance, and troubleshooting of http daemons such as Nginx or Apache
- System administration or audit experience in higher education.
- Experience with cloud IaaS environments from a systems engineering perspective
For more information or to apply to the position please see the posting here: https://listings.jobs.vt.edu/postings/95968Go back to all careers